I finally did it – I cut my hair!
The inspiration came to me while I was chatting to my healthy hair friend Lebo – she gave me encouraging words, links to YouTube videos about set backs and was generally a listening ear – thank you Lebo!
So I cut my hair back to just over shoulder length – I enlisted my boyfriend to help me with the cut, under very strict instructions and hawk-like supervision 🙂 – he was under so much pressure! 😀
My hair looks so much better, I am so happy that I did finally take the plunge to cut it and get rid of all my thin ends and start on a clean slate.
So before I snipped, I went through my wash day routine and did a rollerset and flat ironed my new growth.
- Prepoo: Coconut Oil for 20 minutes – no heat
- Shampoo: Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Moisturising & Softening Shampoo
- Instant conditioner: The Body Shop Banana Conditioner
- Deep Conditioner: Carebeau Beer and Egg Yolk Hair Treatment Wax, I sat under my heating cap for 45 minutes – this was the first time I was using this product, I bought it back in January. I found it quite satisfactory, not bad, but not great either, just in the middle.
- Leave-Ins: The usual culprits – Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-In Conditioner, Motions CPR Triple Action Leave-In Conditioner and Coconut Oil
- Moisturising and Sealing: AfroBotanics Conditioning Moisturiser and Olive Oil
I then proceeded to roller set my hair, I used the Schwarzkopf Smooth ‘n Shine Conditioning Foam Wrap, I used a different technique this time where I applied the foam wrap lotion to my whole head prior to putting in the rollers. Before I used to apply the foam to each section before I rolled it and I found that this left my hair very crunchy when it was dry. This new technique worked very well for me.
I sat under the dryer for 1 hour which was sufficient to dry my hair. I then took down the rollers and flat ironed my new growth because it was not straight enough for my liking. I loved how my hair came out, I should definitely do rollersets more often!